I'll always be here, ready to take care of you and protect you in all circumstances. And in every journey we'll decide to take together, remember that I won't ever leave your side... — florence joyce
xxxxxx
There were still a lot of things to discuss when it came to the decision that Hammie had come up with. And it wasn't a recent decision that came about on a whim. It did only click to her after she separated with Stinger during their last date. Then again, that was about a month ago.
She hadn't seen him personally ever since. But even if she understood the reason why due to the nature of their current jobs --- her being a teacher and Stinger as the commander of Orion, she could not deny that she missed him so much.
Hammie was hoping that in some way, she made that intention quite clear to him. Especially during the last time they saw each other.
"But I wish he'd text me or call me during those days we can't see each other, though. I mean, did it get really busy last week that he even forgot to contact me?" she couldn't help muttering to herself as she glared at her cellphone for who knows how many times for that day already.
Her shift for the day was over, so she had the time in the world to complain about her boyfriend not contacting her for more than a week. She finished packing up her things that she took out from her bag. With that, she was ready to go home --- sad, dejected, and reeling in another disappointment.
The students she got to see on the way out of the school said their goodbyes to her for the day. One by one, she told them to be careful in their home. But as she raised her head the moment she was finally out of the school grounds, her eyes widened as soon as she spotted a familiar figure standing beneath the large tree on the other side of the road.
'Wait... He's really here?' she could only think of it as she still tried to reel in her shock at the sight of Stinger.
He was slightly smiling and soon waved at her the moment their gazes finally met properly.
"Stinger!" With that, she dashed towards the man that she so wanted to see for a month now. The one that she'd been missing so much.
It was a good thing there wasn't any form of transportation rushing by when she did that, though. But even so, Hammie knew any of it wouldn't be enough to stop her from rushing to be with Stinger.
That tight hug she gave to him was enough proof.
"You didn't even say anything about coming here today. How could you?"
Stinger chuckled as his embrace tightened. "Sorry. Things at work got a little crazier than anticipated." He distanced himself from her a little before continuing. "I couldn't even call you even if I wanted to. I was so tired the whole time the ordeal for the day would end. I'm really sorry."
She nodded, understanding the situation. "Raptor did mention that it got busy for the Rebellion a while back. But for some reason, she wouldn't tell me the details of what was going on."
"I told her not to say anything that would fully disclose the case, especially when you ask anything about it. At least, until it was over. You're already worried as it was the last time we saw each other. I don't want to further increase that worry."
"But you know I have every right to worry for you. You even got hurt while dealing with that case. How could you even not tell me about that?" Hammie knew she was starting to become hysterical because of her worries, which was unlike her in more ways than one. She couldn't help it, though.
She could only hope that he understood that, somehow.
No words came after that between them. But at least there wasn't any tense atmosphere hovering because of that. For some reason, the air around them as they eyed each other felt calm. It was strange, without a doubt. And yet both of them didn't mind that.
A few more moments later, she closed the distance between them and touched the wound on the tight side of Stinger's neck. There was a large band-aid placed there. The action did make Stinger flinch a little. But he just allowed her to do what he wanted to do.
"This is just one of them, isn't it?" she whispered and looked him in the eye.
He nodded. There was no other reason for him to lie about what she had already seen. "It'll heal soon."
"I know." After that, she took a deep breath and smiled at him. "But at least you're back now. And you finally found the time to visit me."
With that, the couple finally left the protection of the large tree and walked away from it hand in hand. To be honest, this was one of the things she enjoyed the most whenever she and Stinger would spend time together after all their adventures as Kyurangers.
This kind of peaceful moment together with the one important to her was what she loved the most after their battle.
"Are you okay, though? You've been quiet since we left the tree. Is there something bothering you?" His silence the whole time they were holding hands bothered her in some ways. And she didn't like that, especially when she could sense that it was enough to put him in such deep thinking.
To her confusion, all she got was a tighter hold on her hand. It was enough to make her stop walking and also slightly pull Stinger. Just enough to snap him from his thoughts.
"What's wrong? Why are you like this right now?" It was a vague question. But it looked like it was just enough to make him hesitate.
A heavy sigh, followed by a squeeze on the hand that she was holding. Maybe that was enough for her to convey the message.
A few moments later, it paid off.
"I think I just wanted to reassure myself," Stinger said, almost a whisper, after a long silence.
It only made Hammie frown, though. "What do you mean?"
They continued walking while holding hands. "They tried using you and your safety against me at one point in the case. I ended up getting hurt when I let my anger get the better of me because of what they chose to use cowardly to get back at me. Thank goodness, it didn't work on me in the end. But I still can't help feeling worried for your safety, even when I know what you can do."
It didn't take long for her to smile for so many reasons after hearing that. Once again, she squeezed his hand that she was holding and looked at him.
"Good thing you got out of that before I could do something about it. I'm not exactly getting rusty when it comes to my fighting skills, you know. I still train every day to make sure I'm ready to fight when the situation calls for it."
"I know. But you can't keep me from getting worried for you."
"Of course, I know that. It only shows you care. And it was also your way of protecting me. I won't stop you from worrying about me. Don't worry. But..." Hammie faced Stinger who also did the same. None of them would let go of each other's hand. "I want you to stay safe no matter what. I also have every right to worry about you, as well, you know. And after all that chaos and danger, I'd love it if you can return to me and hold me tight. That way, I would know and assure myself that you're okay. That you're safe and that you're back to me."
There were no other words left to be said after that declaration. Before they knew it, the distance between them was closed. Their hold to each other tightened under the orange sky that the sunset had colored.
She wouldn't be tired of affirming that assurance to him over and over. At least, she was sure of that. And Stinger's hold on her at the moment was his own way of assuring her that he would do what she had asked. It was his assurance that he would also be worried for her safety and still return by her side after all that.
With a smile, Hammie distanced herself before holding Stinger's hand. "So... how long are you going to stay here with me? I hope it's longer than last time."
Stinger smiled, as well, as they proceeded to walk once again. "Let's have something to eat before I can tell you the answer to that."

No comments:
Post a Comment