I admit I'm still thinking of crying. But knowing you still believe me, I'll do my best to stop it... - florence joyce
xxxxxx
"Weren't you supposed to be waiting for him now? Why are you still here?"
Those were the words that Fuuka started saying as soon as she entered Kasumi's lab that day together with Mio and Kagura who managed to take a day off. They did it in order to not only visit Kasumi, but also to help her get ready for that big day.
Well, it was more like a big day for Kasumi since she wanted to be the one to see Hikari first the moment he returned home from that month-long trip. She wasn't supposed to let the other girls know of that particular plan because she knew that Hikari's friends also have other plans to retrieve him in the airport.
And yet, they caught wind of that plan. So now, they wanted her alone to do what they initially intended to do. The others decided to stay behind and prepare everything they needed for the welcome back party they planned for Hikari's return.
"I'm almost done here. I just need to fix some minor changes before I can call it done," Kasumi casually said without looking at her guests in her lab.
Of course, Fuuka wouldn't have it stay that way for long.
"You still need to change and prepare yourself before you even get in the car and head to the airport. Your invention can wait, okay?"
And with that, along with the help of Mio and Kagura who were just smirking at the cousins' antics, they were able to take Kasumi away from her invention and into getting ready to head to the airport. Kasumi could only comply with a sigh and --- expectedly, a fast heartbeat.
Possibly due to anticipation since she'd been waiting for this day to come for more than a month since Hikari left for a business trip. Even when she kept on saying that she shouldn't feel that way, she couldn't help it.
She just wanted to see him already.
xxxxxx
"I'm not late, am I?" Kasumi whispered as she finally arrived at the airport and headed to the arrival area on a run.
Yes, the mostly composed Momochi Kasumi ran most of the time since she got off the taxi. She just had to, even when she knew it would only increase the rate of her heartbeat.
Several moments later, she reached the spot and looked around, hoping to see a familiar face already. But there was nothing. She sighed and continued looking around and soon focused on the arrival gate where several passengers were coming out of.
Despite the slightly sweaty palms and heart beating in more anticipation than she could ever get used to, she patiently waited for that one person she'd been wanting to see for a long while.
Kasumi didn't have to wait for long.
"Hikari-kun!" she called before she could even stop herself.
It was enough to catch the said young man's attention from the arrival gate and look around to find the source of it. His usually stoic expression soon changed to that of a smiling one the moment he laid eyes on her.
Before they knew it, both of them ran towards each other and only halted to a stop just a few steps from each other.
"Kasumi-san... I didn't know you're the one who would pick me up here. Are the others with you?" Hikari asked before looking around.
But she shook her head. "They said they'd rather stay behind and do some... other preparations. They decided to let me pick you up instead."
Hikari frowned, of course. It looked like he hadn't expected the fact that his friends were suddenly making a decision like that. As much as Kasumi wanted to smile at the sight, she chose not to.
"Are you... okay with me being here, though? Maybe I shouldn't have---"
"That's not it," Hikari cut off Kasumi's words before she could say more. "I was just surprised that... you're the only one here, that's all. They never said anything about planning to do something else instead."
For some reason, Kasumi couldn't say anything in response to that. Her eyes started blurring all of a sudden at the sight of Hikari's shy smile showing as he faced her. Before she could stop herself, she closed the distance between them and embraced Hikari tight.
"I miss you..." she said, almost in a whisper. She knew she wasn't feeling shy while saying those words. But she still didn't want people around them to hear what she said.
After all, it was meant for this young man who just arrived.
No words were spoken in response. Instead, she felt his arms enveloping her. His embrace was warm, in contrast to his usual stoic behavior. But she really didn't mind those contrasts. It was a part of his characteristics, after all.
That was when it finally fell. The tears that blurred her sight just before Hikari approached her. She tightened her embrace to him as it all happened, in which he responded in kind.
"You really missed me that much, huh?" he commented, his tone has a slight teasing tone to it.
She didn't mind that. In fact, she just smiled. "Is it bad if I say yes?"
"No. In fact, I like it so much."
That was probably one of the rare moments where Hikari would be so direct and fast in his answers like this. At least, when it came to her. Even so, she was okay with it. She believed that it was true and that was the most important thing to her.
"I think it's time we finally head back home. They were all waiting for you."
Reluctantly distancing themselves from each other's embrace, Hikari looked at Kasumi and smiled before taking his luggage with one hand and her hand on another. Though surprised, she allowed herself to walk together with him as they got out of the airport and headed to the home where everyone else was waiting for Hikari's return.
xxxxxx
Writer's note: This is more like an AU one-shot if I were to consider the ages of the characters here, okay? Especially the featured pair here.

No comments:
Post a Comment