Tuesday, September 24, 2024

015: did i cheat on this?

Yes, I know. What a title for today's rading/book blog. I don't know, but I couldn't help feeling that way just for me to catch up with my reading challenge. I mentioned that on yesterday's blog entry, I know. But I couldn't help feeling frustrated about my reading journey as I keep on seeing the number of books that was behind schedule. So I did what I considered to be the weirdest thing ever ㅡ at least for me.

I read short stories and novellas. And thanks to that, I finally got back on track on my reading challenge. And maybe I went a little overboard on that one, now I'm 3 books ahead of schedule. Just so you know, almost half of them were novellas. Should I call that cheating? Maybe. But I think this is just helping me read more, regardless of the length of the book.

Don't worry, I'm still reading books that are more than 150 pages. But I'm actually choosing to read something that I'd consider a comfort read or books that really makes me happy. At the moment, light novels give that to me. I'll get to start reading a new book or continue reading the pending ones as soon as I can, without feeling the pressure for me to actually finish reading it.


I read these novellas yesterday as a way to "cheat" the challenge, as I'd like to say. Crazy, right? And yes, I also ended up reading some tropes and genres that I was so... uncomfortable in so many ways, despite being a 33-year-old woman. You might have guessed what that genre might be. But I won't dive in to that. As for the ratings I gave to each book, here they are:
  • Her Brother's Bestfriend (Flowering #0.5) - ⭐⭐⭐
  • Adrian's Lost Chapter (Bloodlines #0.5) - ⭐⭐⭐
  • A Longtime (And At One Point Illegal) Crush - ⭐⭐⭐
  • A Mermaid For Christmas - ⭐⭐⭐
  • Yumi (Flames In The Mist 0.75) - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Possibly the longest out of all these five novellas/short stories I read would be the third one. While the last two doesn't have any hints of romance on it. I mean, they're all alright. But I still couldn't fully understand why I also decided to read novellas or short stories tied to a series that I haven't read yet. Then again, more often than not, they could also serve as standalone stories tied to the universe where the stories originated. I might do the same on the other series that I have in my digital library. But I'm still debating on that.


While reading novellas, I also continued reading other longer books. In this case, light novels. I decided to re-read Volume 2 of "The Weakest Tamer Begins A Journey To Pick Up Trash" as soon as I saw an episode of the anime version on Youtube. You could say that this is one of the few instances in which I read the book versions first before an anime or movie adaptations were announced or even appeared. I'm only 27% of the reread, but this is a long book, so that's not a surprise. Along with that, I started reading Volume 3 of "By The Grace Of The Gods". To my surprise, this book is still Chapter 2. It's like continuing the events that happened in the second volume. Then again, this is still about Ryoma's laundry service store and its progress, so maybe that's the reason. I've read 23% of the book and I think this was slightly shorter than "The Weakest Tamer". I don't know, but I couldn't help thinking that way.

I might do some more novellas reading today ㅡ who knows. But I don't really mind doing that for now. I already started with this cheating, so let's continue doing it until I finished reading all of the novellas that I have in my digital library. 😁✌️

Oh, by the way, I changed the range of my page count quota on the random number generator. From 10-70, I changed it to 20-90. Yes, lesser than 100, but this is what I like. This is still doable for me. And here's my page count qouta for today:


It's bigger, I know. But still doable for me if it means reading more and adding them to my Goodreads Reading Challenge. It's weird, I know. In any case, let's continue reading more. Honestly, I didn't think I'd ever consider doing something like this just for me to complete my reading challenge.

What do you think of that? Let me know. For now, I'll end this entry here. See you tomorrow! Happy reading. 😊✌️💕📚📖

No comments:

Post a Comment